Thursday 2 April 2015

Kaliyar Sharif

Kaliyar Sharif is the dargah of Sabir Peer in a place called Kaliyar near Roorkee.

I got interested in Sabir Peer primarily because he is one of the most popular desciples of Baba Farid, whose dargah in Pakistan is as popular in Pakistan, as Ajmer is in India. But I hadnt heard of Sabir Peer in popular circles in India.

My research got me to realise that the reason was that perhaps Sabir Peer chose to live a life away from the popular circles. I really got interested in being there and then finally once coming back from Dehradun, I thought it was time for me to pay a visit.

The place is about 25 kms from Haridwar and about 10 odd kilometres from Roorkee. From the main Haridwar-Roorkee highway, it is an offshoot of about 3.5 kms.

The place has a character of its own. Though I reached late in the town and didnt have time to see the town of Kaliyar but I found out that the town is full of dargah's of many other Sufi saints, some after and even some before the time of Sabir Peer. Its a town of Sufis it seems.

The sanctum sanctorum was closed by the time I reached but yet it was great to sit in the courtyard and meet the saint. What a peaceful place it is. The courtyard has a couple of trees of gular...that adds to the beauty. There is also an old porched section, where one can sit and be with the saint.

Interestingly on one of the trees, I saw a number of papers tied. On enquiry, I found that they were actually applications to the Peer to take care of matters of the devotees. I havent seen something like this before. I had seen locks and dhaagas at dargahs but not letters.


Have been thinking what I will write in a letter if I had to write one. How about writing a letter to God?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the informative post on the spiritual Kaliyar Sharif Dargah which was built by Ibrahim Lodhi. It is one of the most prominent destination near Roorkee and every visitor pays his visit there. It can be easily accessed from Roorkee as well as Haridwar.

    ReplyDelete