Tuesday 5 February 2013

Ghari Wale Baba - Nau Gaja Peer on G T Road

A mazaar on the GT Road from Delhi to Ambala always fascinated me as I saw a lot of trucks parked near it. All that I could see while driving was a green gate saying mazaar of ....and the bus or my car zipped past. Always thought that I will stop one day and explore it.

That one day...happened to be this Monday. I quietly parked my car behind some trucks and for the first time saw that there were a few shanties near the mazaar selling the usualy flowers and chaddar. There was something else also I saw but I didnt care...as a couple of shopkeepers prompted me their shops to keep my shoes and to wash my hands.

I gave them a pass and walked up to the main green gate visible from the highway. Have been to many mazaars around India and the world...so my mind was prepared to see the same. I had thought I will do my little prayer and go ahead with my drive. But that was not be so.

Some stairs go down from the highway to the shrine...which is in a depression...or rather the highway is elevated.

Removed my shoes and entered the lobby of the mazaar. Saw 4-5 sardars there...so I recollected that mazaars are secular places in many ways. Finally entered the sanctum sanctorum and saw the mazaar. It was unusually long with the usual green chaddar over it. Did the sajda and prayed for bringing 'nothingness in my life' and of course to bring my love in my life.

I had seen many devotees bringing small bottles of oil with them as is common in many parts of India. But then something struck me...I saw many people bringing wall clocks and offering it to the Peer. Didnt really understand why so. Then I noticed a number of clocks lying in a row on one side.

It was clear...there was something about clocks here. I questioned one of the sardars there to tell me the reason behind clocks. He said 'Oh...you dont know this is Ghari wale Baba?' People from all over the world offer clocks at this place for being in time and bringing good time in life."


I was intriqued. 'So whats the story I said?'. ' A driver's truck stopped working and he reached this mazaar and offered his wrist watch and prayed for the truck to start and for him to reach his destination in time'. And you can guess what happened...'His truck started working and he reached in time' and the place became popular among truck drivers and later with people offering clocks.'

'Every channel has made documentaries on this place'. So I was clear that this is a popular place that I had hit upon accidentally. He said that as you have come here of your own volition...so Baba will give you a gift for sure.'

I was ecstatic ...the dreamer me. Good times in my life will start now. I was eager to go out buy a clock from the shops outside and offer it to the peer. Who knows my Teacher Logo Project is going to become a hit? Interestingly I stopped wearing a wrist watch a decade back... I dont own a wrist watch. Some connect it seemed to me.

As I started moving out...the sardar asked me to stop and presented me with a gift...a wall clock. He said take it as a gift from Baba and dont let it stop ever...and may be I can come with a clock as a gift for Baba next time around.

Elated I was...never ever in my life had I got a return gift from any such place. My good times had started.

Bought some nice Punjabi Qawwalis from the shop outside...One of them I have been listening since yesterday...Mere Shahenshah...Maine Kuttiyean ch Rakh la. Awesome.

I also saw a CD on Gugga Peer...who incidentally is my Kul Devta....the main god revered at my native village Larha near Galore in Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh.

My drive from Ambala to Delhi was a delight listening to those Qawwalis

Jai Babeyan di...Jai Mastan di

P.S -

1. The exact name of the mazaar is Nau Gaja Peer Saiyyad Ibrahim. Not to miss while driving on this highway. It is around 10-12 kms from Amabala towards Kurukshetra and couple of Kilometres before Shahbad.

2. You will find a lot of cocks and ducks and this place

3. Googled this place and found not much is available..and also varying stories...this is mine

3 comments:

  1. Amusing to hear about clocks being offered. I have often observed in my travels that the lesser known places have a lot to offer you than the tourist traps. Glad that you decided to take a detour and visit this hidden gem .

    ReplyDelete
  2. jai baba shah sikander 9 Gajjia sarkaar ji.punjab teh & distic Gurdaspur dinanagar block villager near bheri jandi chaunta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the details and significance of watch in our lives for the good times and grace. Jai Babaji !

    ReplyDelete