Friday 14 December 2012

Autos at Airports

Air travel was an elitist thing in India for a long time and I guess that was one of the reasons why autos were never allowed at airports. But with budget airlines coming in...everyone gets to travel on air.

Autorickshaw (the three wheeler taxi in Delhi and many other areas) is one of my favourite machine.

But unfortunately its banned at a number of places including the airport in Delhi. You cant be dropped at the airport by an auto. You will probably be dropped a kilometre away and from there you will have to walk.

I found this signboard below at the Chennai airport. I happen to take an auto to the airport at that time and got dropped just in front of this signboard. Interestingly there was a van waiting there for a free drop to the airport...that van was run by Sky Cabs...a radio taxi company in Chennai.

Its the same when you get out of an airport. I have seen many passengers walking to the main road outside the airport to get an auto.

Changing track, I had heard that Mumbai is a more equal city than Delhi...its was evident when I found autos available right outside Mumbai airport. I guess we will have to get Delhi to be more equal by having autos at the airport. Incidentally, five stars in Delhi dont allow autos...but I have heard its not the same in Mumbai.










Interestingly, Chandigarh being a Punjabi city culturally also should treat the autos in a similar manner at the airport. But I found one auto at the airport in Chandigarh. This guy quickly dropped a person at one corner and zipped away


By the way, they sell toy autos at the International and National terminal.

No comments:

Post a Comment